Ginger (zingiber officinale) is being used from ancient time for various purposes due to its taste, aroma and for its medicinal properties.
It can be used in various form fresh, dried, powdered, juice oil and preserved as pickle, crystallized candy etc.
This amazing root is being used as home remedy for nausea, vomiting, cough and cold, menstrual cramp, osteoarthritis and headache. Main bioactive compounds Gingerol and 6 shagaol have powerful antioxidant and anti inflammatory properties, responsible for its medicinal properties and its different taste and flavor
There are various health benefits of ginger due to its amazing properties.
- Ginger is very popular home remedy for cough and cold. Ginger tea is always helpful in cold.Its antiviral and antibacterial properties prevent from human respiratory syncital virus. It reduces mucus formation and helps in congestion.
- It is helps to sooth symptoms like vomiting dizziness nausea. Drinking ginger tea before travelling may reduce the symptom of motion sickness
- Improve digestion reduce bloating and gastritis. It seed up the empting of stomach
- An active compound gingerly help to calm symptoms of morning sickness(nausea in early pregnancy)
- Ginger helps in lowering blood pressure and prevent from blood clots. It has warming effect that stimulates blood circulation.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties reduce pain and inflammation, help in osteoarthritis, headache, menstrual cramps, sore throat and muscle pain.
- It has powerful antioxidants that help to protect from free radical damage, slow aging process, prevents from various disease and helps to fight against infections and boost immunity.
- Ginger may helps to inhibit allergic reactions due to its potent compounds.
- It has some bioactive compound that activates immune system and prevent from carcinogens and prevent from risk developing various cancers like colon ovarian, gastric etc. It also reduces inflammation in colon thus reducing the risk of cancer. A study on rat found ginger supplement effective against colon carcinogenesis in presence of procarcinogen DMH.